"Where trumpets rang and men marched by, none passes but the dragonfly" - Mary Webb

Telford United f.c

Telford United F.C. are an English football team based in Telford, Shropshire. The club was first formed back in 1872 as Parish Church Institute. They later changed their name and were known as Wellington Town F.C. until 1969. The club born from the ashes of the old Telford United now play in the Blue Square North League as A.F.C. Telford United.

Club History

bucks logo The story of Telford United began in late 1872, when the Wellington Parish Church Institute was formed. By March of 1873, the Institute was running its own football team, but in 1879, the 'PCI' team changed its name to Wellington Town. The club's first competitive honour was gained in 1881, when the Town won the Shropshire Senior Cup. The following season saw the club enter the Wednesbury Football Association Cup, while in 1882/83 it also competed in the Birmingham Association Cup and the Wrekin Challenge Cup.

hutchinson stand By 1887 Wellington had competed in the Welsh Cup. At about this time the club joined the Shropshire League, and in the early 1900's was admitted to the Birmingham & District League. In 1902 Wellington Town won the Welsh Cup, a feat repeated four years later. The early 1920's witnessed the "Lillywhite" era, a period of some success. They won the Championship of the Birmingham League for the first time in 1921 and on several occasions reached second place. The Championship success was repeated in 1935 and 1936, while 1938 marked the club's entry into the Cheshire County League and the end of that season one of its most notable successes, when Swansea Town, then in the Second Division, were defeated 4-1 in the final of the Welsh Cup.

After the Second World War, Wellington won the Cheshire League in 1946, but the following season the club had even greater success with the winning of the Cheshire League Championship, the Birmingham Senior Cup and the Walsall Senior Cup. In the succeeding years, the club was one of the most consistently successful in the Cheshire League, with one further championship, two second places and two third places. Wellington joined the Southern League (North-Western Section) in 1958 and in that season qualified for founder membership of the Premier Division.

telford The club changed its name to Telford United in 1969, when the New Town of Telford was designated. That season also marked the inauguration of the FA Challenge Trophy competition, (the first time non-professional footballers could play at Wembley) and Telford reached the first final, losing 0-2 to Macclesfield Town after beating Worcester City in the Semi-final. A year later they were back for a second final at Wembley, after defeating Yeovil in the Semi-final at WBA's, The Hawthorns ground, this time as 3-2 victors over Hillingdon Borough, following a remarkable second half comeback, and also won the Southern League and Midland Floodlit League. An outstanding record in the FA Trophy continued in 1971/72 as Telford again reached the Semi-final, only to lose to Barnet. In 1976 Telford hosted the full 1966 World Cup squad for a "Centenary Match" at the Bucks Head and when the Premier Division of the Southern League was (temporarily) disbanded in 1978, the club was one of only three which had retained continuous membership. That saw the club gain its best position (third) in competition and qualify for membership of the Alliance Premier Football League.

continued »